Welcome to Ian Thompson Architect
Architecture and Interior design are my passion - I was one of those kids, always rearranging furniture - trying to find the best layout for the rooms in my childhood home. Admittedly I drove my parents nuts! However, it was clear to me what I wanted to do in life - I was always going to be an architect.
Thanks for dropping by to read my bio - I'm Ian Thompson, an architect and designer living in London.
I grew up in South Africa and moved to London in 1997. It was a big move - I left a successful residential practice that I had started in 1995 and settled in London looking for a job! For the last 15 years, I have worked in the commercial architecture and interior design industry and I still create interiors for some of the UK's top restaurant operators.
I studied architecture in Durban, a vibrant multicultural city but it was the bright lights of Johannesburg that really interested me. After graduating in 1992 I headed to the 'City of Gold' but soon found myself living and working in Pretoria, the capital city of South Africa.
In that time, my work earned me a place as one of South Africa's up and coming young talents as I forged what I thought was a better architecture for a new South Africa. I worked with award-winning architects and designed numerous houses that stretched the envelope of traditional design.
For 5 years, I worked with a small team of architects in Central London designing gyms for Curzons Health, restaurants for Pizza Express and houses for private clients. I went back to architecture school in 2002 and in 2003 I graduated from the Architecture Association School of Architecture with a Part III, allowing me to register as a British Architect.
Since then, I have worked in the commercial architecture and interior design industry and I still create interiors for some of the UK's top restaurant operators.
My commercial work has kept me pretty busy, but in the last 8 years, I have had time to invest in undervalued houses in South West London, turning them into beautiful family homes. I feel like I've lived on building sites for a decade! My homes are a testament to the work I do and the passion I have for architecture and interior design.
I'd like to share this experience and help you to make a success of your own architecture and interior design project.
As a registered architect in the UK, I can help you with building design and construction advice as well as interior design guidance, pointing you to the right supplier for all of your project needs.
If you need help with your project or simply need to be pointed in the right direction, I can help you.
Ian attended Michaelhouse College in South Africa and studied Architecture at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal, Durban, before moving to Pretoria in 1992 where he ran a successful residential practice.
Ian completed a number of new build private houses and collaborated with other successful and award winning South African architects before moving to the UK in 1997.
After emigrating to the United Kingdom, Ian worked for Cantos Bailey Architects before completing a Part III Architecture degree at the Architecture Association School of Architecture in 2003. Ian successfully registered as an RIBA Chartered Architect in 2004 and opened his own practice, IT Architecture the same year.
Between 2004 and 2013, IT Architecture was commissioned to undertake restaurant projects across the UK for the Tragus Group. In this time, Ian’s practice successfully completed almost 200 projects including those on High Street locations, Shopping Centres, Rail Network Hubs and UK Airports. Ian also completed work for other commercial and private residential clients during this time.
- Studied Architecture at the University of Kwa-Zulu Natal, Durban
- Graduated with a Bachelor of Architecture Degree
- Employed as a project architect at Smit & Fisher Architects, Pretoria
- Started Ian Thompson Architects and later joined Heyn & Bolt as a partner, forming Heyn Bolt Thompson Architects.
- Publication of Houses Taljaard & Botha in Pretoria in South African Journal of Architecture in the feature, rising young talent.
- Employed as a project architectural assistant for Cantos Architects
- Completed thesis in architecture ‘Art Gallery for the Blind’ for the ARB Equivalent Assessment for SA Degree.
- Attended Architecture Association School of Architecture completing Part III examination.
- Registered as an RIBA Chartered Architect and formed new practice, IT Architecture
- Completed some 200 projects across the UK including restaurants and residential projects.
- Ian reforms IT Architecture as ‘Ian Thompson Architect’